This recipe is my mother-in-law’s, with my own slight personal twist. They really are the best cookies ever. People ask her to make them all the time. I’ve done a vegan version, replacing the egg with flax (2 eggs = 2T ground flax seed + 6 T warm water). They come out a little flatter, and I recommend refrigerating the dough for at least an hour before baking, but they still taste great!
- 8 T butter (we use Earth Balance)
- 1 C sugar (we use organic vegan sugar)
- 2 eggs (or 2 eggs = 2T ground flax seed + 6 T warm water)
- 2 C flour (I’ve used GF, and spelt. These again make the cookies flatter, but still tasty!)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 12 oz. chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
1. grease a cookie sheet (we like to use coconut oil for this)
2. “Cream” Earth Balance with beaters on high for about a minute. Add sugar and eggs and continue beating until mixture fluffs up a little.
3. Set beaters to low, add baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and flour. Beat until a sticky dough forms.
4. Add chocolate chips (it’s a lot of chocolate for the dough so I sometimes find it easier to use my hands for this part in order to properly incorporate all the chocolate chips).
5. Arrange by spoonfuls on greased cookie sheets & bake 10-12 minutes
Viola! They’re a hit every time!